Ask The Chaplain

Ask The Chaplain

Friday, March 7, 2008

Understanding Job



Now contrary to what some teach, Job’s problem wasn’t a lack of faith. It was a lack of knowledge. Job was righteous. Job was God-fearing. Job was a good father. Job was like us; he didn’t really understand God’s ways or the sovereignty. In the end God had to show Job how little he really understood about theology.

40:1 Moreover the LORD answered Job, and said,
2 Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? He that reproveth God let him answer it.
3 Then Job answered the LORD, and said,
4 Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth.
5 Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further.
6 Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
7 Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
8 Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?
9 Hast thou an arm like God? Or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?

It amazes me when I hear preachers talk about how they just quote the right verse and God HAS to move. God doesn’t have to DO anything but be God. What God does require of us is a relationship. God is not an ATM machine. He is an intelligent and passionate being that wants to know us and wants us to know Him.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matt. 7)

5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. (Job 42)
6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
6 And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.






Even though Job was a good man, he really didn’t know God on an intimate level. The bottom line in our walk with God is not prosperity or how much God can give us, but it is do we know Him? Job realized this after his ordeal; he acknowledged this by saying, “now mine eye seeth thee.” If you notice God did not give Job an explanation about his ordeal, but Job came to a realization. The realization was I know God now.

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things, which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
13 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Paul explained it best in Philippians; Paul believed that the knowledge of Christ and a relationship with Him is so vital that everything else is simply dung. God considered Job because Job was a good man that needed to know God better.

No comments: