Ask The Chaplain

Ask The Chaplain

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Laying on of hands.....Why?


Laying Hands vs. Casting Out Devils


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever been to a deliverance service and seen a preacher lay hands on someone to expel a demon? If you have then paper will more than likely interest you. This is by no means a deep study or a special revelation from the Lord... But it is the result of a little research done with my Bible and a concordance. I have come to a conclusion that I am comfortable with in my spirit concerning whether or not we should lay hands on someone during deliverance. I pray this can be used as a step in the direction of a detailed study done by someone concerning this matter, but for right now I am fully satisfied as to the results I've reached. Fell free to send any and all comments to me and believe it or not, I receive correction very well when it is given from the Word of God. If I'm wrong let the Bible say so! God bless and happy reading...

The Laying on of Hands is used for:

Healing the sick

Mark 5:23 - And besought him greatly, saying, My little daughter lieth at the point of death: I pray thee, come and lay thy hands on her, that she may be healed; and she shall live.



Mark 16:18 - They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.



Acts 28:8 - And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him.

Imparting the Holy Ghost

Acts 8:18 - And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,



Acts 9:17 ? And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way that thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Imparting Spiritual Gifts

1 Timothy 4:14 - Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.



2 Timothy 1:6 - Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the laying on of my hands.

Devils were cast out:

In Jesus’ Name

Matthew 7:22 - Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?



Mark 9:38 - And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.



Luke 9:49 - And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.



Luke 10:17 - And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.

By Jesus’ Word or Command

Matthew 8:16 - When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick.



Matthew 8:31-32 - So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine. And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters.



Mark 5:13 - And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.



Mark 1:27 - And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.



Luke 4:36 - And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.

By the Spirit or Finger (Authority) of God

Matthew 12:28 - But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.



Luke 11:20 - But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

We see a definite distinction between laying hands on the sick and casting out devils:

Mark 6:13 - And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.



Matthew 10:1 - And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

Nowhere have I found where we are instructed to lay hands when casting out devils. All the Scriptures listed refer to using Jesus name, his Word, or the power of the Spirit. Besides Jesus laying hands on the daughter of Abraham to cast out the spirit of infirmity in Luke 13:11-16 I have not seen an instance of laying hands for deliverance from evil spirits. Don't get me wrong, I understand having to restrain someone if the spirit is strong and is causing them to convulse or become violent; but if I can cast out devils by speaking the Word and using the Name above all names, then that’s what I’ll do. Better safe than sorry.

As far as anointing the sick with oil and laying hands on them, I have no problem with that because that is clearly stated as a practice for healing in scripture. I just want to be obedient to what the Word of God says. I’m not saying that laying hands when casting out demons is wrong I’m simply stating that the Word doesn’t command it, to my knowledge. I am convinced in my own spirit as to the truthfulness of this conclusion, but I would certainly never dogmatically teach it. If you lay hands to get the job done then by all means lay hands... If I’m wrong may the Lord use you to correct me and may God bless you richly!

No comments: